Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Charleston Day 2 & 3

Day- 2 Brunch

We started Sunday with brunch at 82 Queen. It was still fairly warm on Sunday so we decided to eat outside. If you go to 82 Queen you MUST eat outside. They have have an amazing patio with trees and flowers growing every where with tables tucked in between. There are little birds hoping around everywhere...it was just perfect! Matt had a Bloody Marry with his breakfast that from the little sip I had was perfectly mixed. Matt ordered the Low Country Crab Benedict which he loved. He said it was one of the best crab cakes he's ever had. Certain preparations (ie crab cake) haven't sounded appetizing to me lately so I didn't even try it but it looked wonderful and the waiter told Matt he chose the best thing on the menu. I had (drum roll please).....the shrimp and grits! The Shrimp and Grits here are a BBQ version of the dish and sounded nothing like my dad's so I thought it was safe to give them a try. They were really good and something I would order again. Very simple, probably something that could be easily duplicated but none the less very satisfying.

Oh, I almost left out one of the best parts of brunch. We had delicious cheddar-thyme biscuits...to die for! I overheard another waiter say these were the lunch biscuits not the typical brunch biscuits so if you go for brunch I would ask if they have these.



Day 2- Dinner

For dinner we went to S.N.O.B (Slightly North of Broad). This is the second year we went to SNOB and boy were we not disappointed. I really don't think (okay, I know) I have the vocabulary to properly describe the absolute perfection of dinner at SNOB. Matt ordered the BBQ Grilled Tuna with Fried Oysters. Again something I didn't try but it looked great and Matt was very pleased. Matt had all but given up on ordering tuna at restaurants b/c chefs get medium-rare confused with well-done, but he was very pleased at his perfectly cooked tuna. It was really hard or me to choose what to eat at SNOB. SNOB has my three non-fish favorites on the menu in preparations that sound mouthwatering. So my choices were the quail, lamb chops, or duck. I ruled the quail off my list only because its what I ordered last year and I knew SNOB could impress me just as much this year with a different dish. I then crossed off the lamb because I think I can make a pretty mean lamb chop dish (I think!?!). So I was left with the Sauteed Duck Breast with Yellow Squash Casserole. Just thinking about this dish puts me at a lose of words. With out a doubt one of the best meals of my life! To top off our out of this world dinner we had the dessert that was on special...Derby Pie....need I say more. Matt and I love SNOB and will probably never make a trip to Charleston without visiting this place. It is our favorite (with Cru a close second) and we think it is a must for anyone who enjoys great tasting food.


Day 3- Breakfast

We only had time Monday to eat breakfast so we headed to Toast. We had their stuffed French Toast and a typical breakfast platter (eggs, biscuit, bacon, etc). Both were very good and satisfying. I wont even try to elaborate as I am still thinking about SNOB, but this is a good place to go if you need a quick breakfast on your way out of town.
Non-Food Attractions
I think it is quite obvious that Matt and I consider restaurants a form of attraction/entertainment so other than walking around we didn't do much outside of eating. Our one real attraction was the Rhett-Aiken house. The tour of this house is self-guided while you wear head phones and carry an MP3 player. This house is a preservation not restoration so much of what your looking at hasn't been touched in over a century. Matt and I both enjoyed our time here and highly recommend it but remember it is a preservation not restoration so much of your enjoyment will be in using your imagination while listening to the stories.


Other Charleston Recommendations
Since some of you are planning your own trip to Charleston I thought I would share little bit of last year with you.
Recommended Restaurant (not mentioned above) - Poogan's Porch for brunch or lunch
Overrated Restaurant- Magnolia's...I had the most ill-seasoned piece of fish here and sent it back to the kitchen. Matt thinks I am being really harsh on this place but really my fish was so bad I don't plan on giving Magnolia's a second chance anytime soon. Regardless of my opinion they still remain one of the most talked about restaurants in the city.
Must do- A walking tour. Charleston is such a beautiful city with lots of history. The only way to really absorb it all is through a walking tour. We had a really great guide last year who has lived in the city all his life and works for himself giving tours. Matt has gone to bed and I forget the man's name but if you are going to Charleston and this interests you please contact me so I can get you this guy's name.
Charleston Wish List
This is what I want to do sometime in the future in Charleston:
*Ghost Tour
*Cooking class at Maverick Kitchen (next to SNOB)
*Plantation Tour

3 comments:

  1. I definitely need to plan a trip to Charleston. It's been way too long since your dad and I visited there. Now, more importantly, where's the belly picture. I want to see how much you've grown in a week. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wanted to give the effects of our eating vacation enough time to wear off before we posted a belly picture. We'll get it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time. So glad you enjoyed it....but you forgot to critique your first stop in Calabash! So do we get to keep Randal next year when you go? Anxioulsly awaiting an updated belly picture. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete