Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Guest Post by DADDY

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of this post compared to what you folks are used to.......

I have been getting a lot of hate mail recently about the lack of blog posts, so I just wanted to get something up before I start getting pipe bombs in the mail. Katie has been absolutely slammed with photography sessions and editing, so to be clear: I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!!!

Let's start with a few words about Katie. As most of you know, Katie never returned to her job in the corporate world after Tilley's birth. Being a finance/accounting/CPA/numbers/calculator/nerd, I pushed back on this for awhile, even though I knew my efforts were pointless against Katie's will. Ultimately I knew it was not a wise financial decision, but absolutely the best thing for our children. I weighed the pros and cons, and as much as I tried to quantify it, you just can't put a figure on children being raised by their parents. I know this is not possible for a lot of people, but if there was any glimmer of hope in us making this work I knew we had to try.

Two kids is not even close to double the amount of work that one is, it is some exponentially ridiculous amount of additional time, work, love, responsibility, etc. The times when I keep Tilley and Randal by myself are few and far between. As bad as it may sound, it is probably for the best. I don't trust myself and holy sh*t that is a lot of work! For starters, Tilley will not take a bottle (I don't have a boob to put in her face when she is ill), Randal is now opening doors (why yes neighbor, that is my daughter, thanks for returning her), Randal loves to play hide and seek without notifying the "seeker" of her intentions (Cobi and Tessa, have you seen Randal?), Randal told us recently that she needed a cold beer (and yes she can open the refrigerator), and many more reasons why it is risky business having me in charge of sole supervision of these two.

Katie's days typically start around 5 or 6 AM when Tilley wakes for a morning diaper changer and quick feed, if lucky she will go back down for a hour or two. Then Randal wakes around 730am full of energy and ready to go. After managing to get everyone breakfast, Randal goes to preschool 3 days a week from 9am to noon. If Tilley is in a good mood, Katie may be able to run a quick errand or even edit a few pictures while Randal is in school. When Randal gets home it's time for lunch, possibly some outside time, maybe a little arts and crafts, and then a nap around 2pm or so. Again, if Tilley is good Katie may be able to squeak out some house work or edit a few pictures, answer emails, etc. Randal then wakes around 530 or so and is ready to go. They will usually do some type of activity or just play in the playroom or outside if it is nice until dinner time. This is when I usually get home around  or 630 and am introduced to the madhouse. Katie has typically already started dinner somehow and I will watch one of the kids while she watches the other and cooks dinner. Then we do some playing, coloring, swimming, etc until Randal goes down around 9pm. Tilley usually goes down a little before Randal and may get up one or two more times before we go to sleep. I'm usually in bed by 1130pm or so and Katie usually stays up until at least midnight if not later editing, doing dishes, answering emails, etc. Whew, I'm freaking tired just typing that! I'm sure I left a lot out, but you get the point.

Anyways, my point is that Katie has one of the toughest jobs I can imagine (full time mom) before even considering her photography gig. I get exhausted just watching one of the little munchkins for an hour or two, much less both of them for 15+ hours a day!

Ok, you get the point, I love my wife and children and admire her for the awesome job she does every single day!

Now for the pictures.....I am at work so all I have are my phone pictures! I know you guys are used to these stunning pictures Katie posts, so prepared to be disappointed! Actually I may have some of her pictures on my phone, so I'll see what I can come up with. I just hope this will hold the hate mail for a few weeks until Katie can get back to posting some decent content for all of us!

Here is one Katie took, she may have already posted on here. This is Randal enjoying her favorite chocolate ice cream at the Lewis Strawberry patch.


Another Katie picture that you may have seen, some Tilley love....


Again, I'm just going through cell pics, so some of these will be random.....

Here is Tiger Woods missing the cut at Quail Hollow....


The Chris Robinson Brotherhood concert at Greenfield Lake....



Uncle Kirk showing off his new frames....


A few ducks from this winter....


This is what happens when daddy paints the office....






Watching the US OPEN.....


Chopped Deli downtown Wilmington....



Rigging up so for Grouper fishing.....


Some Daddy and Randal time on the skiff...




Local legend, Ricky Meeks...


2012 Big Rock cell phone pics....














The newest addition to the family.....


Randal and Paw cruising the waterway....


Heading offshore for the Boy Scouts Gulf Stream Open.....




Daddy daycare at it's best....


I think that's all for now folks. Hopefully if Katie doesn't delete this it will at least give her some motivation to put up some decent pictures in the coming weeks. Either that or change her password and delete my post so you never hear from me again!

Have a great rest of your summer!

Matt/Daddy





4 comments:

  1. Awww...very sweet Daddy. Pics are...phone pics but I'll leave the sweet post up and hope to get some decent ones up soon. So does all this love and understanding men I can hire a cleaning lady? PS- Doing work while holding a sleeping baby right now ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randal can handle a broom like a champ.....that's why you have kids right?

    Figure she can handle the lawn mower next year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI - my first post already has more comments than your last 50 something....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait till the 3rd one comes along.....then the fun really starts! Great post about your wonderful wife and family!

    ReplyDelete